27 July 2011

Going All Medieval

I've been playing a bit of Sims Medieval lately. Actually, quite a lot of it really.  I know I wasn't going to buy another EA game but I'd heard some good reports and I wasn't playing Sims 3 much other than doing a bit of building.  Sims Medieval doesn't seem to have  as many issues as Sims 3 because it's not as complex.  And anyway, it was on special.  Yes, the forum is a bit sad ... but there are plenty of places to find support for it elsewhere if you look around a bit.  

Sims Medieval is more like a Sims-themed RPG than the Sims 3 so I can understand why those that enjoy the freedom of the original find it a bit restrictive.  You can't change the buildings other than the decorations and new buildings are added in set locations.  You can only play set heroes, although you can customise them in CAS.  They need to build focus by adding positive moodlets and minimising negative ones, as well as completing their daily responsibilities, to be effective in their quests. 

Heroes are the Monarch, Knight, Spy, Physician, Blacksmith, Bard, Merchant, Wizard, as well as Jacoban and Peteran Priests. They have to complete quests to advance the game which means you can add more locations and their associated professions.  There are a few other locations as well that allow you to send ships out to trade or hunt whales, to play kingball, and to worship the Watcher (er, that would be you). 

You start with a monarch and this is mine, Lady Serena the Great, listening to a petition to establish a sweet shop or something (and fund it to improve her popularity).  I managed to catch her between yawns (sitting on the throne is usually pretty dull but it does help the monarch advance).  


Bad or unlucky Sims can be thrown in the Pit of Judgement and usually get eaten by the beast ... though some survive to take their chances with the benevolence of their monarch some other day.  Heroes can also be thrown in the pit for getting too far behind in their quest as I've discovered (but luckily for my merchant Marius you can quit without saving).  


This is my blacksmith Will making some armour for a palace guard.  He gets a Hammer Tyme (ye shall not touch this!) moodlet when he works metal, which makes me laugh every time, er, tyme. 


And this is Will's wedding to his apprentice Rosamund.  It seems to work out better if you don't marry your heroes to each other.  Rosamund had to spend a lot of time hanging out at the smithy anyway so it was a convenient match ... and Will gains plenty of focus from having his spouse around so much.


One of the quests was to marry off a hero so here is my Knight Lucas marrying Celestria, a local maiden, in the banquet hall.  When they don't marry in a church, this strange angel person turns up to marry them. I'm not sure what happens in a church wedding yet as all of my heroes are agnostic (and I haven't unlocked the churches).


Lastly, this is my physician Morgana treating a patient with a pile of leeches before she pours medicine down his throat.  She also gets to make potions and salves from the plants she collects.  And she finds a cure for the plague in one of her quests ...


... which is lucky because there's a bit of it about (the afflicted have a black cloud about their heads and those that catch it from them have a swirly cloud in their thought bubbles).  Nasty peasants! 


Anyway, I'm enjoying Sims Medieval a lot and I haven't had any major issues so far (praise the Watcher).  I haven't played all professions yet but the ones I've played have been fun.  There's a lot of variety in the quests and plenty of options in how you can progress so I'm looking forward to where things go from here. 

In non-Sims-related news, bananas are currently $17 a kilo here (for those that are checking up on the price), which is about six times as much as we used to pay, and it's starting to have an impact on inflation.  And we've discovered that sweet potatoes aren't grown in South Australia and most of our cabbages come from interstate too. Weird. 

No comments: