31 December 2016

2016, see ya!

(wouldn't wanna be ya) 

So another year is almost over ... and I'll be glad to see the back of this one.  It didn't start out the best with David Bowie dying in early January and then it didn't seem to let up, did it?  So many well known and loved people gone suddenly this year.   

Personally, it's been another tough year with my son struggling through school and life in general, and me having a few health issues (fortunately not serious, just chronic and annoying).  Things are starting to look up for the new year ... but didn't I say that last year?  

Gaming-wise I spent the first part of the year playing mostly Fallout 4, with some more Banished and Cities: Skylines.   Then in August I tried out No Man's Sky.   I hadn't seen any of the hype for this and didn't really know what to expect.  I actually found it a great chill out game but did more walking and exploring than conquering space. Ended up playing mostly on PS4, especially when ... 

My computer died (motherboard gave up).  After messing around for a couple of months I managed to get all the parts together to rebuild it myself, with a nice new graphics card and CPU to go with the motherboard.  And it worked first time (so proud of myself) ... so not all bad.

In September we had storms that knocked out power state-wide for a few hours (days for some) and dropping out phone networks.  Luckily we have gas cooking so could at least have hot food and a warm bath by candlelight. 

Picked up Civilisation VI in October and managed to win a few games, despite America and Russia taking turns at denouncing me (for being better them) and then declaring war (a sign of things to come?).  Finished off the month by starting a new game with the Skyrim Special Edition and exploring some of my favourite spots in the game.  So beautiful.

In November I bought Rise of the Tomb Raider and Firewatch but went back for some more No Man's Sky after the big update and plenty of improvement in the PC version.  Relaxed with lots of aimless wandering and chilling out in (almost) endless space.

GOG upgraded me to Witcher 3 GOTY Edition earlier this month so I decided to dive back into a new game and finally play the Blood & Wine DLC (and hopefully actually finish the game).  Got Dishonored 2 & Pokemon Moon for xmas but haven't had a chance to play either yet as I've got back into Sims 3.  Crashes, freezes and all (never changes does it).

Update: damn I forgot Pokemon Go ... how could I? So many Zubats, so little time. I did manage to catch a Kangaskhan though (only catchable Australia/NZ).  

So another year of not finishing any game I started and still not reducing my pile of shame. Better luck next year! 

No comments: